[78-L] Billy Murray Memorial, anoter mention

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sat Oct 31 22:24:14 PDT 2009

Good grief. He was strictly a prominent studio singer.
He left no lasting footprint and had no influence on the development of  pop
or jazz.
Due to a  fortunate genetic coincidence he possessed a uniquely penetrating
timbre in his voice particularly suited to the limited acoustical
reproduction available in his time, as did xylophones and chinese wood
blocks.
Stylistically he sang as did hundreds of other undistinguished tenors of his
time.
He was frequently used for that reason and because he could sight read and
needed little rehearsal
Well regarded, often hired, hundreds of sides.... but no legs.
What's all the fuss about?

Al S.