[78-L] Rudy Vallee writes about SEX! SEX! SEX!

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 29 15:26:03 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Apologies in advance to those of you who have already heard all or most of
> this.
>
> As I've mentioned here before,  I  was the agent for the Thousand Oaks
> Library for the purchase of the Vallee archive.   My first visit to the
> Vallee home was in the company of the Vallee's agent,  the library director,
> and members of the library foundation.   That would have been less than a
> year before Vallee died.  The TO Library collection of American radio and
> television history was only a year or so old at the time,  but I'd already
> been able to supply them with a lot of worthwhile material,  including
> books,  scripts,  letters,  documents and a variety of ephemera.
>
> We were greeted by Mrs. Vallee and ushered into the living room.  Their
> Spanish-style house was way,  way up in the Hollywood Hills,  and at one
> time been owned by Ann Harding.   Rudy's personal archive and memorabilia
> about his life and career were housed in a sub-building which was underneath
> a tennis court,  but we had to wait for Mr. Vallee to make his appearance,
> which he did,  after we'd been served bad California "Champagne"  over ice,
> along with a tray of very strange nachos.

> Taylor

Another sad Vallee story; it's too bad his later years were so unhappy.
  I may have mentioned this at some time earlier, but Eleanor Vallee has
renewed the connection with Maine in recent years, donated one of Rudy's
saxophones to UMaine, visited Kezar and the Westbrook Historical
Society, which has a Vallee collection.  Because of my interest in
Kezar, Don Dickerman etc., I ended up meeting her a couple of years ago,
remarried and a thoroughly charming woman.  So it's not all bad in the end.

--

      David Sanderson
      East Waterford, Maine

      dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com