[78-L] The "real" Rudy Vallee

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Oct 29 12:15:53 PDT 2009

Peter's diagnosis may be right on the mark.  I spent a lot of time going
through the Vallee material,  including files of letters,  financial
statements,  etc.  and I was amazed at the number of people whom he'd helped
during the 30s and 40s out with gifts of money,  chances to appear on his
show,  etc. And all this while not bringing any attention to himself.  Nor
does it include the "loans" he made to various down-and-out show biz
people...most of which were written off after a year or two.

It was very sad to see what had become of the fellow.  After dealing with
him personally and then with his wife,  it took me a while before I was once
again able to enjoy his work as a bandleader,  singer  and film actor.  And
if one  wants the "real" Rudy Vallee,  that's where you should look,  not at
the sad ramblings of his later years.

Just an aside about his movies...a lot of critics think that his comedy turn
in The Palm Beach Story is his best.  I think he's even better in The
Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer,  as Cary Grant's rival for Myrna Loy.  If you
can hold your own all the way with the likes of Grant and Loy,  you've got
to be really good!  I think the Sidney Sheldon script for the latter is even
funnier than the Sturges script for the former,  although I'm sure many
would disagree.

Taylor