[78-L] More on cleaning lacquers

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Sun Oct 4 09:14:14 PDT 2009

Hi Gary,

Had we found water/Triton X-100 mixtures alone & a paint brush to
afford safe & thorough cleaning of lacquers &/or acetates or shellacs
discs for that matter, we would not have made an effort to develop
alternatives.

Be careful when using non-ionic surfactants as they are only effective
when used at very high dilution.  More is not better.

Cheers,

Duane Goldman

On Oct 4, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Cary Ginell wrote:

> My father, who is a chemist and retired conservation scientist for
> the Getty Institute, recommended a cleaning solution to use on
> lacquer reference discs. He recommends a diluted solution of
> distilled water and Triton X-100, which is the brand name for Octyl
> Phenoxy Polyethoxyethanol. He recommends applying it with a thin
> paint brush, which treats the grooves gently and won't leave any
> lint. Don't know if anyone is familiar with this method or not, but
> I'm going to give it a try.
>
> Cary Ginell

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA