[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Sep 23 18:27:18 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> The superfluous use of "different" ("I have six different copies of 'How
> Much Is That Doggie In The Window'").

In which case you have ny deepest sympathy...!

Now, "different copies" would be logically correct here if either you own
six audibly distinct takes/versions of Ms Page's recording...or if six
different
artists recorded the tune and you own a copy of each! Otherwise, "different"
is superfluous...if you own six copies of the Mercury record, they are
inherently
"different" objects!

Since I own a fair number of Grey Gull pressings, I often own "different"
records of a given tune...?!

Steven C. Barr