[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 19:17:41 PDT 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Now, "different copies" would be logically correct here if either you own
> six audibly distinct takes/versions of Ms Page's recording...or if six
> different
> artists recorded the tune and you own a copy of each! Otherwise, "different"
> is superfluous...if you own six copies of the Mercury record, they are
> inherently
> "different" objects!
>
> Since I own a fair number of Grey Gull pressings, I often own "different"
> records of a given tune...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

In most statements the unstated "different" would be implicit. "I
visited six countries", "I own six copies of Ms. Page's 'Doggie'" etc.
You need only add "different" if you wish to qualify the statements,
e.g. "I visited six countries with different styles of government", "I
own six copies of Ms. Page's 'Doggie' with different degrees of wear."

As it happens I only own one copy of 'Doggie', and it's not by Patti nor
Lita Rosa!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4451 (20090923) __________

http://www.eset.com