[78-L] Canadian Columbia Double Disk promo record

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Sep 16 21:43:00 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> If I remember correctly,I had a VIctor acoustic of Burr singing the song
> "Honest and Truly".
> I am more intrested in trying to find a Victor acoustic of "Roses of
> Picardy";I had it years
> ago.It was a lovely arrangement played by the "Green Arden Orchestra".I
> remember the
> arrangement and from memory,I was able to play the better part of the
> arrangement on my
> violin.Another recording I am looking for is a Brunswick electrical of
> "Mon Homme" by a
> trio that called themselves "The Castle Trio".The latter was violin,either
> viola or 'cello and
> piano.I cracked it years ago and later discarded it.That record was one I
> also remembered
> somewhat and also learned to play on my violin.It,too,was a lovely
> version.It seems to me
> Henry Burr was another one of those singers to recorded for at least a
> dozen different co-
> mpanies just as Billy Murray,Irving Kaufmann,Vernon Dalhart did between
> the late teens
> and the late twenties.
> --- On Sat, 8/22/09, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> The Canadian promo usually turns up with Goodbye Little Girl, Goodbye
> (Henry
> Burr) on the back, priced at 25 cents..I haven't seen it with a Prince's
> Band
> patriotic side. That must be from after September 1914.
> Has anyone (hint, Barr) ever listed all the Canadian Patriotic Columbias?
>
> dl
>
> agp wrote:
>> I was digging through my stuff today and came across a disk that I
>> have a question about. Its a Canadian Columbia disk. I think it would
>> have been a promo-special. The catalogue number is P-11 and its says
>> 'patriotic series' on the label of the a-side which is Land of the
>> Maple by Prince's Military Band. The b-side is a special Columbia
>> label saying that the disk is to be sold at a price of 30 cents. The
>> content of the b-side is a talk extolling the virtues of Columbia
>> double disk records, with some musical examples.
>> So, the question is about the date of the item and any background in it

A lot of answers (for a lot of questions)...in kind of reverse order!

1) Columbia(C) issued 40 or so records in a "Patriotic" series, which had
catalog numbers from P-1 (I assume) up to around P-40! These were sides
(often British) that concerned WWI; of course, Canada was in that war
a few years before the US, so the material was only "patriotic" up here.
These were regular for-sale records...it is possible that one of the
P-series
sides was paired on a Canadian "promo" disc?!

2) There are at least two different Columbia "promo" records! The first was
given away; it has an issued Henry Burr side paired with a speech extolling
Columbia "Double Disc" records! The speech side opens with "The puh-pose
of this r-r-rec-ohd..." The second, slightly later, sold for 25 cents in the
US
and 30 cents in Canada (this used different labels in each country as well
as
different "promo" sides!).

3) The first disc was issued c.1910; I think the later one is from around
1912.
The "P-11" side is NOT original to it, so the promo record II must have
stayed
around untl 1914 or 1915 (when Col(C) started issuing "patriotic" records!).

4) Victor didn't use a separate series for WWI "patriotic" items; however,
they did have a special red/white/blue, "Union Jack"-based label for such
records (but with a regular 17/18K catalog number!).

5) I thought about trying to list the Columbia "P-series" records. I used to
buy
them as they turned up (usually at CAPS)! I own a lot
of them, but with my collection so badly dealt with in recent years, I have
NO freaking idea where they all ARE?!