[78-L] Canadian Columbia Double Disk promo record

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Sep 16 21:41:45 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> If I remember correctly,I had a VIctor acoustic of Burr singing the song
> "Honest and Truly".
> I am more intrested in trying to find a Victor acoustic of "Roses of
> Picardy";I had it years
> ago.It was a lovely arrangement played by the "Green Arden Orchestra".I
> remember the
> arrangement and from memory,I was able to play the better part of the
> arrangement on my
> violin.Another recording I am looking for is a Brunswick electrical of
> "Mon Homme" by a
> trio that called themselves "The Castle Trio".The latter was violin,either
> viola or 'cello and
> piano.I cracked it years ago and later discarded it.That record was one I
> also remembered
> somewhat and also learned to play on my violin.It,too,was a lovely
> version.It seems to me
> Henry Burr was another one of those singers to recorded for at least a
> dozen different co-
> mpanies just as Billy Murray,Irving Kaufmann,Vernon Dalhart did between
> the late teens
> and the late twenties.

Here is the record as found in the Abrams Files:
TROUBADORS                    ROSES OF PICARDY
28262=3   VI19117*  -         -         07/09/23  HAYDEN WOOD
GREEN-ARDEN ORCH              MARCHETA
28307=4   VI19117+  -         -         07/23/23  VICTOR SCHERTZINGER
As you can see, "Roses" was cut by the Troubadors; the "flip," "Marcheta"
was the one cut
by the Green-Arden Orchestra! The record was remade electrically somewhat
later!

Also, I'm guessing this is the Brunswick you're thinking of:
BLACKSTONE TRIO               MY MAN (w) MON HOMME
E17677    BR3038    -         4201=R    12/??/25  Willemetz; Charles; Yvain
??

Note that artists, especially singers, didn't sign single-label contracts in
the 1900-
1930 era; most of them recorded for as many labels as would hire and pay
them...!

Steven C. Barr