[78-L] Blockbuster dying??

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 16 15:58:42 PDT 2009

I'd like to add my two cents to the negative chorus of comments on the
Blockbuster situation. I'm gratified to learn that I'm not alone in my
disdain for their perfectly mis-managed operation. My opinion of and
experiences with BB almost exactly duplicate those of the dissenters.

When I first applied to BB for membership (in the days of VHS rentals some
20 or so years ago) it took several months before I received my card and
only after raising some hell. The person to whom I complained at their HQ
number gave me the very distinct impression that there was only one person
in charge of membership for the entire operation. After that it was downhill
all the way. My last recollection with B---buster is of my damn near
starting a riot in one of their large stores because of an extremely long
line and only one manned checkout while other personell stood around. My
complaint fell on deaf ears...hence the near riot. Worse yet, all the boobs
on line were standing there like mezmerized sheep and might still be there.

Before I left NY I was a Netflix member for some time and have nothing put
praise for them. they were always courteous, knowledgeable, efficient and
obviously cared about their members. Long may they wave!!

There must be something about VHS rental joints that attracts the dolts.
There used to be two (non Blockbuster) independent rental stores in my area
(then Queens, NYC) in the 80s. The small one nearest to me was run by a rude
total imbeciile who knew nothing about customer relations. The other which
had pretty good stock was run by a guy with the same "qualifications" who
seemed always in serious need of citrate of magnesia. Eventually, of course
they went the way of all ani...into the toilet.

Farewell, BB, don't let the door hit you in etc. etc.....
JD