[78-L] Happy 100th, Prez! - unknown alternate Decca take

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 00:18:10 PDT 2009

Milan P Milovanovic wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> on this particular list I've heard from one of out members that he found -B
> take of famous "Honeysuckle Rose" session that, first Decca session of the
> Count Basie band (with Pres and all the others). As great admirer to
> Lester's art, I'm so interested to hear if that famous solo leap (also, the
> rest of the solo) is any different from one take to another? Please keep in
> mind that this is the first studio session after Jones/Smith Inc. small
> group session that produced such masterpieces as they are "Oh, Lady Be
> Good!", "Shoe Shine Boy/Swing" etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Milan
This is what my notes on take -A say:

"HONEYSUCKLE ROSE – two-beat, lumpy rhythm section. Mediocre Lester
Young and Buck Clayton. The “Tea For Two” riff irritates and the final
ensemble is stiff."

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4378 (20090828) __________

http://www.eset.com