[78-L] Glass based recordings

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 17 16:31:33 PDT 2009

David Lewis wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:...which reminds me.
> I recently acquired an instantaneous recording (a test pressing) made in
> the 1950s on a glass based disc (lacquer on glass). It was my belief
> that the glass based disc went the way of all things in the late 1940s,
> just post WW2.
> Is this not so?
> Has anyone heard of these discs still being manufactured into the 50s?
> Mal
>

> I haven't heard of them being manufactured in the 50s, but I have encountered situations where an old blank was used many years later.

Likewise. The discs were still being listed in one electronics catalog in
Canada in 1948, and I know of one movie studio using them for their playbacks
that late, so old stock was probably discounted and people were still using
them. The Les Smith collection (Toronto recording engineer) had some glass
discs cut in the 50s, although these were mostly using up blank sides.