[78-L] Rhythmic "sprituals" of the early 1930s

Randy Skretvedt forwardintothepast at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 09:20:09 PDT 2009

I haven't gotten through this entire thread, so apologies if I'm repeating some nominees.

Sing, You Sinners - Recorded by Jack Albin, Smith Ballew, Tom Gerun, The High Hatters, Adrian Schubert, Bessie Smith, many others.

Moan, You Mourners - Pretty likely a follow-up to the above; the only version I can recall is Bessie Smith's.

On Revival Day - There's a wonderful two-parter of this by Red Nichols with Jack Teagarden from 1930, I believe.  Also recorded by Jack Albin and Johnny Johnson

Oh, Mo'nah - The Mo'nah is a southern-accented mourner, not a girl named "Mona."  Ted Weems did the definitive version with a vocal by its author, Country Washburne, in 1931, but there's also a good one by the UK band of Roy Fox with Nat Gonella singing.