[78-L] Question re: Vocalion/ HMV/ and Capitol

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 9 14:06:51 PDT 2009

At 19:12 09/08/2009, Steven Barr wrote:
> > Does anyone have background on later Vocalions
> >
>Decca acquired the rights to the Vocalion label as part of their rights to
-snip-
>They used Vocalion first for a Camden-like line of
>LP's...and then as another "hits" label, barely getting into the 78 era. The
>latter is what you appear to have!

Can you explain that? 'barely getting into the 78 era'? So you mean
the Lp era? So is this Vocalion from the late 40s?

>RCA dealers could...and did...import British HMV records for their
>customers (which had to bear the sticker you cite, since "Nipper" appeared
>on the HMV labels...and was an RCA trade-mark in the US! I have also
>seen UK HMV catalogs with similar labels...I assume meant for the use
>of US Victor dealers...?!
Were these parallel imports of titles on Bluebird, or unique HMV
coupling?. BTW - -what I got was:

HMV B.D. 5651
         Falling Leaves (matrix OA.055580 (diamond) with a symbol
that looks like a roman numeral II offset between the numbers and the diamond)
         Beat Me Daddy Eight to Bar (matrix OA.056107 with B-10876A
in the dead wax)

HMV B.D. 5698
         The One I Love (matrix OA.058886 and B-11110A in the dead wax)
         Perfidia (matrix OA.060914 with B-11095A in the dead wax)

HMV M.H.139 (says B.D. 5822 in parens below)
         Blue Moonlight (matrix OA.041588 (diamond) with B-10404A
also in the dead wax)
         Melancholy Lullaby (matrix OA.042662 with B-10423A also in
the dead wax)

Would the B numbers be Bluebird matrices?

Where these imported to get around the AFM ban?

> > Capitol's run of 78s. How much longer did Capitol (USA) continue with 78s
> >
>At least into the low 4000's...possibly a bit longer here in Canada? I own
>Capitol 4048. "Tom Dooley"...IIRC a US pressing. The highest Capitol
>number in the "Abrams Files" seems to be 4108:

I have the Canadian Tom Dooley also.

What I wouldn't give for a 78 of Move It by Cliff Richards and the
Drifters on Capitol (Canada) 4096.
http://www.cool78s.com/images/cool/200509/Capitol-4096.gif

Capitol did have 78s in India in the 60s -- at least one Beach Boys 78 exists.