[78-L] Question re: Vocalion/ HMV/ and Capitol

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Aug 9 12:12:33 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> Just got back from my local Half Price Books -- lotsa stuff going for
> 25 cents. SO that led to a few questions:
>
> 1) Pick up a Chuck Foster and his Orchestra 78 on Vocalion -- cat
> 55013 Room Full of Roses/ There's Yes Yes in Your Eyes. I realise
> that it is probably not all that fascinating/ rare/ collectable as a
> 78. It was the label that attracted me. Vocalian! I thought that they
> were done in the early 40s. This is a label style unlike the 'ornate'
> ones of the original era. It is clearly a Decca product given the
> matrix numbers (L5040/ L5042) and style -- mimicing the Decca of its time.
> Does anyone have background on later Vocalions

Decca acquired the rights to the Vocalion label as part of their rights to
the
Brunswick label, in 1942-43 (Decca was desperate in the AFM ban, since
they had only started in 1934 and had no "archive of old hits!"). Decca
created the Brunswick 80000 series and issued a number of albums of
old Brunswick hits; they later used Brunswick as a regular "hits" label in
the fifties and later. They used Vocalion first for a Camden-like line of
LP's...and then as another "hits" label, barely getting into the 78 era. The
latter is what you appear to have!

> 2) I picked up 3 Glenn Millers on HMV. They all have a sticker with
> the words 'Made in England for Radio Corporation of America'. I'm
> curious about the usage of that label. Oh - -and one side is Perfidia
> (HMV BD.5698). Is this the Dorothy Claire version or the Paula Kelly
> version. Label just says 'with vocal refrain'

RCA dealers could...and did...import British HMV records for their
customers (which had to bear the sticker you cite, since "Nipper" appeared
on the HMV labels...and was an RCA trade-mark in the US! I have also
seen UK HMV catalogs with similar labels...I assume meant for the use
of US Victor dealers...?!

> 3) Got a Tommy Sands on Capitol. Looks to be a 1957 release - My Love
> Song/ Ring-a-Ding-Ding -- cat 3690. This is pretty much at the end of
> Capitol's run of 78s. How much longer did Capitol (USA) continue with 78s

At least into the low 4000's...possibly a bit longer here in Canada? I own
Capitol 4048. "Tom Dooley"...IIRC a US pressing. The highest Capitol
number in the "Abrams Files" seems to be 4108:
--------
MARIE ADAMS w JOHNNY OTIS ORCHA FOOL IN LOVE
30554     CAP4108   (Capitol) -         (1958)    -
MARIE ADAMS w JOHNNY OTIS ORCHWHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE THOSE EYES AT ME FOR
30555     CAP4108   (Capitol) -         (1958)    -
--------

Steven C. Barr