[78-L] Question re: Vocalion/ HMV/ and Capitol

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 9 15:56:12 PDT 2009

Interesting...Decca really DID try a Vocalion label in 1949 when these and two
other Chuck Foster sides were recorded (the other is 55012). They'd revived the
Brunswick label for jazz titles and must have done a few Vocalions as well. I
was unaware of this. There are 76 numbers in this series. Looks as if some are
reissues since I see Andy Kirk and Freddie Rich among them, as well as Dick
Robertson, Art Kassel, The Revelers (a new group?)..

Capitol stopped producing 78s in the US in 1957, along with most of the other
labels, but as has been noted, we got them in Canada well into 1959.

dl