[78-L] half track tapes

bradc944 at comcast.net bradc944 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 13:53:49 PDT 2009

Another machine that has quarter- and half-track playback capability is the Otari MX5050.  I have two in the garage, one in rack-mount and one in the floor-stand-with-casters arrangement.  The switch is somewhere close to the playback head, seen if you flip up the head-cover.

Another point about half-track tapes is that most were in-line (both tracks exactly the same place on the tape, readable by one head), but some were staggered so that two mono heads would play back the stereo.  Unfortunately I don;t have a player for those.

Brad