[78-L] Stereo half-track tapes

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 7 17:11:25 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:

One of the worst early stereo LPs I've ever heard is a Westminster disc derived from Sweden (Discofil?) of Alvfen conducting Midsommarvaka. The thing sounds glorious on the original ten-inch LP but because a stereo tape existed, Westminster used it. Awful. And they edited the companion piece. dl

I'm with you there Mr. Lennick. I have the Westminster LP of Alfven's "The Prodigal Son" with him conducting, in Stereo. The sound is just atrocious; unlistenable. The same recording is on a Swedish Society CD (probably deleted) and I'm hoping to run into it sometime just so I can really hear it, but so far, no luck. From what I've run into so far, the impression I have is that Alfven just wasn't a very good conductor, but maybe its just the software I've had access to heretofore.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com