[78-L] 1953 Gaite Parisienne Author Fiedler/Bosten Pops on 78 rpm?

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Thu Aug 6 10:29:39 PDT 2009

At 09:53 AM 8/6/2009, you wrote:
>Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> > At 09:33 PM 8/5/2009, you wrote:
> >
> > Well my stereo LSC 1817 is the exact same recording as the older 1954
> > LM 1817. I don't have VICS 1012 or LSC 2267 though so will also look
> > for them. I do have a mono LM 2267 which has both a different cover &
> > a different performance than the 1954 or 1947 version & it's a shaded
> > dog label. So they did release the '54 version in stereo before the
> > '58 one was released. Why? I have no idea....
> >

>Confirming what I'd half guessed at yesterday, that the 1954 version was
>briefly released in 1958 in stereo..but does it have Les Patineurs as filler
>and is it stereo?

No, it has La Boutique Fantasque on it as the filler.  I'll try to
dig up my mono LM 2267 & see what the filler is on that one sometime.
It might be the same one as LSC 1817 but I'm not sure.

>Or with the short side lengths of early stereo LPs at that
>time, was there a filler at all?
>
>I have no idea why they'd have issued the early one, even to get it into the
>market briefly, when they did the new recording fairly quickly in
>1958, unless
>one hand at RCA jumped the gun and the other hand said "Hey, we were going to
>do a brand new Living Stereo version". I wonder if LSC 1817 is a
>collector's item?
>
>dl

Yes LSC 1817 is worth $500 on a classical record collectors sale site
last time I looked so I'd call it a collectors item as are several
other stereo shaded dogs & Mercury stereo SR recordings. Oh & the
1954 version was also released by RCA on stereo 2 track 7.5 ips
inline (stacked heads) tape around 1954 before record companies put
out 4 track stereo tapes with the same 1817 cover. I've been outbid a
few times on Ebay with that tape but from what I read on a reel to
reel collectors group It's sonics are better than the LSC 1817 LP.
I'm not sure if it was released later as a stereo 4 track reel as I
haven't seen one yet. And yes I do collect commercially released reel
to reel tapes. 2 track 7.5's are also sometimes the only way to hear
a recording in stereo. For example, Pattie Page The Waltz Queen  was
released in stereo 2 track (I have one) with 6 of the 12 songs found
on the mono LP which was later reissued in fake stereo on LP. I guess
Mercury didn't want to use the stereo masters of the 6 songs that
were on the tape version but instead used 12 mono masters in awful
fake stereo. Yes I do have the fake stereo version & I prefer to play
the original mono one instead. I think I've played the stereo 2 track
tape on my 4 track stereo machine 3 or 4 times since I found it a few
years ago. You just have to turn the balance control over some to
level out one channel being too loud on playback. but then thats with
every 2 track commercial tape played on a 4 track machine