[78-L] Guthrie masters from Stinson

Doug Pomeroy pomeroyaudio at att.net
Wed Aug 5 12:44:46 PDT 2009

The total (54 songs) could have fit on 3 CDs of 18 tracks each.
I think it may have been partly a programming decision, wanting to
group the various types of songs.  Or, more likely, having the CDs
match the LPs is probably the reason, as you say.

It's just Woody, Houston and Sonny Terry.  No other name artists.

Additional metal parts were transferred, but I don't know if Rounder
plans any additional releases.  The selection criteria were decided
by producer Scott Billington, who used common sense, aesthetic
judgement and a desire to group songs by topic, more or less.

There are a few metal parts by other artists (I transferred one by
James P, and one by Mary Lou Wms), but I have never seen a
a complete list of all of them.

It should be made clear, the only reason to buy the Rounder set
instead of the Smithsonian/Folkways, is the superior audio quality
provided by the fathers and mothers.

Doug

Message: 16