[78-L] Sharing sequence numbers between labels

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Aug 4 19:39:08 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Aherne" <leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com>
> This is what I had kinda thought, that the ARC dime-store makes were
> phased out
> gradually rather than all getting chopped in May 1938. Most reference
> books state
> unequivocally that Banner ended in 1935, yet I've definitely seen 1936
> tri-number issues
> of that label on Ebay now and again (they have a crimson background rather
> than blue
> but otherwise look the same). But I've *never* seen a '37 or '38 issue on
> Banner, leading
> me to believe that the label was phased out some time in '36.
> I've seen 1938 Melotone issues and I'm pretty sure Perfect lasted until
> then as well--
> albeit with a blue and white Melotone-ish label rather than the sun
> worshippers. Would
> Sony (or whoever possesses the ARC files) have any internal communication
> from the
> company about dropping orders for some of their labels, or would any of
> this information
> have been published in trade journals of the time?

I have seen (and have) Banners with 6-xx-xx numbers; don't recall off-hand
the highest
month number, though. Romeo also seems to end around the same time. I have
seen
(and may own) an Oriole with a 7-01-xx number. I also have Perfects and
Melotones
with 8-xx-xx (04 or 05 seems to be their highest) numbers. And, yes, Perfect
was one
of the ARC labels redesigned in 1936 or so.

> While we're on the subject of ARC labels, has anyone ever seen a Domino
> record from
> 1932-33? ARC dropped the make in 1930 but brought it out again for a very
> brief time
> (and probably very few sales, if its scarcity is any indication). Also I
> was surprised
> to read in Allan Sutton's Plaza-ARC discography that the Broadway label
> lasted beyond
> 1932--it was pressed by ARC for a while in 32-33 and then by Decca in
> 34-35. I'd wager
> that these are pretty elusive too...any comments on what they look like,
> the material
> to be found on them, et al.?

I have one of these later Dominos; however, finding it would be an
effectively impossible
task...after my landlady decided to have all my milk boxes restacked (but
NOT in order...
the cheap help she hired didn't even notice that milk boxes come in two
DISTINCT
sizes, since they were too busy looking for stuff they could steal and
re-sell for $$$!).

Steven C. Barr