[78-L] Sharing sequence numbers between labels

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Aug 4 06:42:47 PDT 2009

I have fairly large series of label images of these ARC labels.
The last known year-month numbers of the various labels are:

Banner 7-01
Melotone 8-02
Oriole 7-04
Perfect 8-05
Romeo 8-02

Possibly the number of issues was small and selective during the last months of their existence.
For example, my last 3 Romeo images are: 7-11-11, 7-12-02, and 8-02-51.
Last available Perfects are: 8-04-06 & -62, and 8-05-01.
Surprisingly, there are hardly any country/race issues on Banner. Ban 6-02-62 suggests
a normal number of releases during Feb 36, but for the following 12 months the only other
country/race images I have are 6-07-51, 6-08-52, 6-09-51 & 7-01-52 ! Explanations?

Han Enderman
===

Beginning in (around) mid-1936, ARC quit issuing most of its "client labels"...probably
because the clients noticed they no longer sold all that well...?!
IIRC, I have seen Romeos with 7-01-xx numbers...
the highest Orioles I have seen are around 6-09-xx.
I am VERY interested in establishing the highest catalog/date numbers for each of
these ARC labels?!
- Steven C. Barr
---
the ARC dime-store makes were phased out gradually rather than all getting chopped in May 1938.
Most reference books state unequivocally that Banner ended in 1935, yet I've
definitely seen 1936 tri-number issues of that label on Ebay now and again (they have
a crimson background rather than blue but otherwise look the same). But I've *never*
seen a '37 or '38 issue on Banner, leading me to believe that the label was phased
out some time in '36.
I've seen 1938 Melotone issues and I'm pretty sure Perfect lasted until then as well -
albeit with a blue and white Melotone-ish label rather than the sun worshippers.
- Harold Aherne
---
I have 5 tri-numbered 1938 issues on Perfect.
Julian Vein
<<<