[78-L] Sharing sequence numbers between labels

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Aug 5 12:34:16 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Harold Aherne wrote:
>> While we're on the subject of ARC labels, has anyone ever seen a Domino
>> record from
>> 1932-33? ARC dropped the make in 1930 but brought it out again for a very
>> brief time
>> (and probably very few sales, if its scarcity is any indication). Also I
>> was surprised
>> to read in Allan Sutton's Plaza-ARC discography that the Broadway label
>> lasted beyond
>> 1932--it was pressed by ARC for a while in 32-33 and then by Decca in
>> 34-35. I'd wager
>> that these are pretty elusive too...any comments on what they look like,
>> the material
>> to be found on them, et al.?
> I have Domino 176: Gene Kardos "When Tomorrow Comes" (14692-1) and Todd
> Rollins "Let's Go Places And Do Things" (14661-1). Oddly enough the
> first side has the following number, stamped in mirror image, partly in
> the music grooves and partly in the runout: 18762B. I can't trace this
> at all.

In actual fact, the most likely explanation is that your record was among a
large stack
of discs...sitting on top of, slightly off-centred, a copy of Victor
18762...but with a
large and heavy bunch of records on top pf the two! This also needs a bit of
warmth
as I recall; the bottom disc then acts like a "stamper" and impresses its
raised
"writing" into the disc on top (plus it takes a long time to happen!).

Steven C. Barr