[78-L] Covers and doodoo (was: In The Mood)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 2 22:26:08 PDT 2009

From: Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
> According to "The Andrews Sisters" by H. Arlo Nimmo, "In the Mood"
> was recorded with Nelson Riddle & his Orchestra on July 7, 1952.
> Release # was Decca 28482. There is also a version on the Dot LP
> "The Andrews Sisters, Greatest Hits, Vol. 2," with new arrangements
> by Allyn Ferguson & his Orchestra, released in September 1963
>(Dot DLP-3543). Those are the only two versions listed that the
> girls recorded. LaVerne Andrews died on May 8, 1967, but the
> sisters performed together up until the fall of 1966.
>
>(Attention Mike Biel: the author notes that the Dot album
> was a COVER of their Decca hits...)
> I can see smoke coming out of Professor Biel's ears now
> ....Slowly he turned...       Cary Ginell

Leah is manning the fire extinguisher.  Actually there is a chance to
consider the Dot ALBUM as being a cover of a Decca ALBUM of their hits!
But it makes much more sense to just say that the Dot album is of
RE-RECORDINGS or RE-MAKES of their original hit recordings.

But more to the point, who the hell is H.Arlo Nimmo and why should we
pay attention to anything he says?  With a name like Arlo it soulds like
he was born in the late 60s to two pot-addled hippies, so how the hell
could he have known how the phrase was used in the 50s when it was
coined.

So now you can cover your own stuff.  Usually the word cover is
currently used to denote performers doing songs associated with other
performers.  Bands call themselves "cover bands" as a way to denote that
they play hits rather just ordinary songs you might not recognize.  If
now we consider that a band is doing a cover if they perform songs of
their own, they ALSO are now a COVER BAND!  You can't win.  Nobody can
ever perform ANYTHING that is not a cover unless it is a brand new song
that has never been performed before, even by themselves.

THESE WRITERS ARE GODDAMN IDIOTS.  Anybody want to join me in tossing
some doodoo at H.Arlo Nimmo and others of his ilk?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

 > From: kil at roadrunner.com
 > I had my copy of IN THE MOOD by the Andrews Sisters marked 1952 but I
didn't
 > believe it, so I erased it. Weren't the sisters pretty much separated
by
 > then? I know they reunited on Capitol but they never sounded like the
old
 > Andrews Sisters then. This IN THE MOOD sounds like the Andrews
Sisters of
 > the 40's. Is it possible 1952 was the first release date (maybe on an
LP)
 > of a recording made much earlier?   > RayK

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/andrew-sisters-in-the-mood-lyrics.html