[78-L] Guthrie masters from Stinson, et al, to be re-released on Rounder

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 2 23:00:46 PDT 2009

There's a video about the company history and the masters here:

http://www.rounder.com/woodyguthrie/epk/

I wish Doug Pomoroy had told us about these.  I am very curious about
the other recordings found in these barrels, what are going to be done
about them, and and if there is going to be a listing/discography made
available.  I wonder what Soviet recordings are there.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

 From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth at attglobal.net>

 Stinson appears to be currently dormant, but the
 Harris Family descendents still own it.
 The genealogy is: Founder Herbert Harris, his son Bob Harris ran it
until
 the 60's (he was responsible for the "New" recording activity in the
 early 1950's), on his death Bob's sister Trudy and her Husband Jack
Kall
 ran the company, moving it from NYC to Granada Hills CA. The LP's were
 issued in updated jackets through the 1990's. Some of the masters were
 leased
 to Everest and issued on Archive of Folk and other Everest labels, then
 Collectables
 for CD issue (the CDs appear to be still available at cut-out prices)
in a
 Stinson series. Company is now owned by Jack & Trudy Kall's daughter
and
 her husband.

 Best wishes, Thomas.