[78-L] A question for our GG contingent...?!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jul 28 20:44:30 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
> IIRC, Grey Gull's studios were in Manhattan. So, did the Boston bands
> travel down to NY to record, or was there also a GG studio in Boston? I
> have heard unsubstantiated stories that some GG's were actually recorded
> in Boston but know not where, nor if GG actually had a studio there.
> Possibly they leased a local studio, or radio station room?
> Questions, questions...
> Mal

I'm doing some guessing here...!

Anyway, I would guess that the first group of GG masters (1919-20) were
recorded in Boston. In 1920-21, GG started using a 500-up (originally 10000-
up!) matrix series; I have always guessed that these were recorded in NYC
by an independent label or "master broker." GG then went through a period
of using "outside" masters, from Emerson, NYRL and Plaza; these often had
coded prefixes (X, Y and Z) which were attached to both control numbers
(in GG's m# sequence) and to the supplier's own matrix. Around 1925, GG
opened a recording studio in NYC...which they used as long as the company
lasted (fall 1930...catalog numbers in the very high 1800's [1896?])

Another question will follow!

Steven C. Barr