[78-L] Durium Hit of the Week 'Hoard'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jul 26 20:00:28 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans en Corrie Koert" <koerthchkz at zeelandnet.nl>
> We call these paper envelopes in Europe "covers". Is "sleeve"  a better
> description?

Actually...YES! IIRC, the record companies themselves called the paper
envelopes in which 78's were sold "sleeves"...to me "covers" suggests the
much more substantial light-cardboard envelopes in which "LP" records
were merchandised! The art-work on the latter (the artists had a 12"
square "canvas" rather than the 5" x 5" insert of a CD "jewel case!")
was an important part of the promotion of LP's...some LP covers are
highly collectible in and of themselves, even if they no longer contain
the records...?!

In fact, "picture sleeves" (HIGHLY collectible!) only appeared at the
VERY tail end of the "78 era"...about 99.9% of those contained 45rpm
records (and are thusly HIGHLY sought after by 45 collectors...who
are a TOTALLY different species than us 78-o-philes?!)!

Steven C. Barr