[78-L] Motown on 78 and weird Filipino labels

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Sat Jul 25 15:55:13 PDT 2009

Motown recordings on 78s in India?
I doubt this. Because this is not the type of music Indians would have listened to.
In India only those people listened to English language music who were half-breeds (half Indian, half British). Black music was never popular there.
There were however Motown releases in South Africa - on the Ridge label. This label took licences from many US labels. On Ridge you can find the Marvelettes and the Shirelles, possibly others.  I know, because I had these South African 78s.

The situation in the Philippines was pretty much like the situation in France and Germany. Many 1950's and 1960's records that turned up in the 70's and 80's in France and Germany were completely unknown to the French and German listeners And these records were never listed in the complete listings of the record companies, either! Why? Because these records were only sold in U.S. Army PX's (but pressed locally).

I guess it was similar in the Philippines.

How did companies in the Philippines appropriate the names of 3 major US record labels?
A rethorical question, I presume. Because nowadays, I am sure, you can register names like 'Columbia' 'Sun', 'Sony' or whatever in Azerbaidjan, Moldavia, Congo or what have you.
Just like you could in the Philippines in those days.

Alex