[78-L] Durium Hit of the Week 'Hoard'

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 26 12:57:39 PDT 2009

From: 78records at cdbpdx.com
> The sleeves/covers for the HOTW records have large flaps at the
> top like envelopes and are made by the Cupples Envelope Co.
> Maybe they should correctly be called envelopes.  CDB

I didn't notice the flaps until I looked again just now!!!!  I did
mention, though, that stamp collectors call envelopes "covers".  The
first Columbia Lp tombstones had top flaps as well, although they
stopped that practice soon after, and might not have done them on
popular issues at all.  Many kids 78 labels had flaps, such as Young
Peoples Records and Allegro.  The major company making green sleeves was
Cohoes Envelope Co. and they also made dealer "Carrybags" with handles
built into the flap.  I call grocery store paper packages "bags" but
Southerners call them "sacks" which confused me and my wife no end when
we moved to Missouri and Kentucky.

Mike (y'all want it in a sack?) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "Hans en Corrie Koert" <koerthchkz at zeelandnet.nl>

From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>
 Very good question, and resuming my role as "word police" I don't have
 definitive answer.  Generally we call things made out of paper
"sleeves"
 and those made out of cardboard "covers" but that is not always true.
 What about the nice cardboard replacements with stitched sides that
many
 record stores in Europe used?  I still tend to call them sleeves, but
 apparently Europeans call them covers (?)  What about the thin
 paperboard Tombstone things that Columbia first packaged their first
Lps
 in?  I think I have called them by both names, sleeves and covers.  And
 when we got the cardboard version we always call them covers.  Shortly
 afterward cardboard covers came with paper or plastic "inner sleeves".
 And then there are "picture sleeves", which are printed for specific
 records.  For this last reason, I think that this would put the HOW
 paper wrappers into the sleeve category.  Even though they are printed
 for specific records and are usually not generic, they are like the
 later picture sleeves, and are sleeves.

 Now, about that word "envelope".  In the philatelic world, what
 civilians call envelopes are called "covers" as in "first-day covers".
 Too many words.

 But I have heard that it is NOT true that Eskimos have 50 different
 words for "snow".

 Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com