[78-L] Motown on 78 and weird Filipino labels

Margaret Still mgstill at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 26 12:53:21 PDT 2009

Ah, but I appreciate your correction, and associate "word police" with
censorship, not with precision.

The Taiwan recordings I've seen would be pirates. Taiwan also printed books
that I would call counterfeits, since they attempted to reproduce the
original, with the only difference being the addition of a very tiny area
with Chinese characters behind the title page.

The Philippine recordings (Dyna Records, for instance) seemed licensed, and
were mostly of good quality, though I just can't imagine that everything on
the royalties side was on the up and up.

I see your point about not throwing concerts and outtakes into the legal
definition of "bootleg" because that would restrict access to "otherwise
lost" and sometimes great performances - and because people who buy these
recordings know what they are getting and already own all legitimate
recordings by the artist. Access is paramount. But I haven't been able to
put in perspective the correctness of, say, a soundboard person making
copies and selling them at a profit. I think this is permissible in the
bigger picture because it has created access to something deemed not
marketable by corporations due to the audience not being large enough to
make releasing it profitable.

Any help unfuzzing this reasoning is welcome.

Best,
Margaret G. Still

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>

> I don't know anything about how the labels were appropriated
> and pressed locally, but assume it was on the shady side,
> though not as shady as the outright bootlegs being pressed
> in Taiwan at the time.   Best,   Margaret G. Still

I don't want to seem like the "word police" (which is what I must seem
to be to the people over on the ARSCList after I had to slap down
someone who insisted that 16-inch pressings were not transcriptions, and
that coated discs should be called "laminated".)  But although it became
common to call any unauthorized records "bootlegs", that word has one
specific defination in a court of law, and that is a recording that is
unauthorized and has not been released by the legitimate rights holder.
Concert recordings are bootlegs.  Recording session out-takes are
bootlegs.  But if the recording has be legitimately released, and
unauthorized release by another party falls into one of two other
categories.  A "counterfeit" is when someone tries to make a copy that
appears to be just like the original.  A "pirate" is when the
unauthorized copies are not meant to look exactly like the original.

And

But bootlegs, such as
concerts and outtakes are documenting performances otherwise lost, and
are sold to people who know what they are getting and who usually
already have all of that performers legit releases.