[78-L] Decca's Music of Our Time series

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Tue Jul 21 08:28:32 PDT 2009

        I have the set on 78rpm from 1916 - 1944, and am now looking for
duplicates.  It is odd to see how Decca sat on these recordings for
several years until they were ready to start releasing them.  It's also
neat to see how the pros could step into the studio and bang out four to
six "take #1" sides in a row.
        On the other hand, the "song hits" of 1943 were recorded in 1944,
which didn't allow for much perspective on which songs would become
standards.  Out of eight medleys per album, you're guaranteed at least one
waltz.  The number of songs varies since a few medleys have only two
tunes; most have three.
        On some, the album cover art and liner notes by Louis Untermeyer
are copyrighted 1947, but the series was released slowly.  This list of
hit records from 1948-jun refers to the years 1923 & 1935 as best-selling
new releases.
                (q.v. http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymar41/june48.html )

        Eventually they were re-released on Vocalion vinyl LPs with
additional years added to the series, but it wasn't called "Songs of our
times" any more; just "Song hits of...."
        I also have the accompanying sets by the Jesters, themed on
airplanes, telephones, automobiles and firemen.  They are a mix of novelty
pop and traditional songs.

        There was a movie tie-in with "All the king's men" (1950) when
they were still releasing new entries to the series.  Since "King's" was a
historical picture (1930's), there was the possibility to wax nostalgic
for the old tunes.

 "Voting machine used at playhouse for 'All King's Men'"
        _Box Office_ (1950-feb-18) p. 72
http://issuu.com/boxoffice/docs/boxoffice_021850/38

"Our Times Song Contest On Air for 'King's Men'"
        _Box Office_ (1950-apr-29) p.166
http://issuu.com/boxoffice/docs/boxoffice_042950/38

- Stephen D
in Calgary

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.