[78-L] Decca's Music of Our Time series

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 21 08:39:50 PDT 2009

Stephen Davies wrote:
>         I have the set on 78rpm from 1916 - 1944, and am now looking for
> duplicates.  It is odd to see how Decca sat on these recordings for
> several years until they were ready to start releasing them.

Easy..there was a shellac shortage! It made more sense to get as much mileage
out of Bing and a few a capella hits by The Song Spinners, and then use the
alloted shellac for Oklahoma! and other guaranteed hits. A lot of recordings
from 1942-45 weren't issued till 1950 and some were never brought out.

dl