[78-L] George Cleveland

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 20 22:11:47 PDT 2009

DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> dl (who still remembers when George Clayton died and the whole cast was
> replaced in the very next episode..probably mostly because Rettig was needing
> to shave at that point)
>
> dl
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
>
> Do you mean George Cleveland?
>
> I remember watching the episode just after he died, (btw, I assume you know that he was a Canadian), and they had his character die in the series.  They were all sitting around as the will was being read.  I thought the series carried on with the rest of the cast, at least for the rest of that season.  Tommy Rettig was sixteen at that point so I guess his chin was getting fuzzy.
>
> db

I did indeed mean George Cleveland, and I didn't know he was Canadian. My
memory is that he died and the whole family immediately moved away, leaving the
mutt to new people including June Lockhart (who of course also has Canuckistan
blood, being the daughter of Gene Lockhart, co-composer of The World Is Waiting
For The Sunrise). However, I find I'm missing a half season..Cloris Leachman
was Timmy's adoptive mom before June. Don't remember her at all, probably
because I never cared for the show after that..Jeff was closer to my age.
Timmy? Feh.

It seems as if they started easing Timmy into the 4th season because Jan
Clayton wanted out and Tommy Rettig was getting too old, then they fired just
about everybody when Cleveland died in July 1957.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie_(1954_TV_series)