[78-L] Tops and Top 10 and so on

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Mon Jul 20 14:49:48 PDT 2009

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:09:05 -0400
From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
Subject: Re: [78-L] Tops and Top 10 and so on
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill McClung" <bmcclung at ix.netcom.com>
> When I come across a Tops or Top 10 or other multitrack "hit" 78 I never
> recognize the artists.  The only ones I've bought have songs sung by
> Scatman Crothers on Top.
> Are there any of these artists that I should know or were there any done
> under a pseudonym?

These are, to me, the "last unexplored frontier" of 78rpm discography! I
have tried
to keep separated my holdings of  "multi-track" 78's...what I have learned
so far:

<snip>

2) Since the artists were otherwise unknown, I doubt if we shall EVER know
if the credits are actual artists or "noms du disque"...?! The only
exception I
have run across is "Preston Sandiford" (a band leader on several MT's). I
searched that name on the Internet, and it seems to have been the real name
of an actual bandleader!

<snip>

Steven C. Barr

Again I've fallen behind in perusing the 78-L digests and have just come across the above.  It's interesting to see the name Preston "Sandy" Sandiford mentioned.  Back in the 1970s, I briefly interviewed him.  Unfortunately, only handwritten notes, no tape.  He had an office on the second floor of the G. Schirmer building on Boylston Street in Boston, Massachusetts -- opposite the Public Gardens or Boston Common -- where he taught piano.  He had produced some record sessions for the CrystalTone label which was owned by the Yakus brothers.  I never noticed his name associated with the Tops recordings, but then again, I tend not to pay attention to the specifics when I see the label, which is quite frequently.

Art