[78-L] Tops and Top 10 and so on

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 20 15:00:32 PDT 2009

I thought we'd clarified Professor Sandy's status ages ago. Definitely real,
and he was on Solitaire and its related dime store labels (Cameo, Manhattan). A
lot of real records by real people got swallowed into these multi-track
releases, like Gene Austin's late recordings with Les Paul, some of which had
previously appeared on London..the Harmonicats, ex VitaCoustic and Universal..
note that I'm talking now about Solitaire (and offshoots), which had no
connections with Tops or Waldorf Salad Bowl. Solitaire also got Lena Horne's
Black & White recordings, the Spellbound album from ARA, some early Frankie
Laine from Gold Seal and who knows who else, Pee Wee Hunt's pre-Capitol sides,
those two Lord Buckley sides that I'm still trying to trace, and tons of
amateur stuff like the University of new Hampshire University Marching Band and
the world's worst violinist, Herman Henry (I suspect that he was a gag, since
his accompanist was named "Carl Lampson" which is Carl Lamson with a p in it).

dl