[78-L] A recommendation for those who subscribe to Netflix - Louis Jordan

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 19 16:43:56 PDT 2009

As I mentioned previously, I’ve been picking out some interesting DVDs from Netflix during my free month. One of my discoveries will appeal to those into 40s R&B and Swing. In the  early 60s there was a short lived TV show called “The  !!!! Beat” – yep, with those exclamation points). It was based in Memphis and featured quite a few big name R&B stats like Lou Rawls, Robert Parker and Etta James. It was hosted by a large white Deejay named Hoss Allen. It only lasted 26 30-minute shows.

The “house band” consists of two guitars, two saxes, two horns, a piano and a drummer and is led by Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown! Gate gets to play some solos and on Volume 4 the band does the hottest version of “Take Five” you’ll hear.

Well Bear Family has reissued the series on DVD in 6 volumes – with 4 shows on each. They aren’t on Amazon and BF gets about $35. for each volume. So I’ve been renting them.

Volume 4 is my favorite because – in addition to Clarence “Frogman” Henry doing three of his hits, show 15 is nearly all Louis Jordan (c. 1963) and his Tympany Five playing a fabulous set. The only other musician on that show is Guitarist Freddie King.

So, if you have Netflix check out the series. Mostly R&B except for the Jordan episode. (You can see the contents of each disc on Bear Family’s web site

Steve Ramm