[78-L] Subject: Re: Collecting vs. 'Investing'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 18 18:48:56 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> My father is a big collector of English bone china, especially that with
> the Shelley brand. He also does repairs on broken collectibles of all
> kinds (except records).

Note that it IS possible to "repair" broken 78's! I have had limited success
with this; I use modern adhesives...and find that records which are broken
"across the grooves" (i.e. in half, more or less) can easily be glued back
together; however, records with a break running along a single groove
are effectively unrepairable...the groove has a width of c. .003" so that
the thickness of the necessary layer of adhesive usually displaces the
broken piece far enough "outwards" that the needle can no longer
reliably navigate the repaired break without winding up in the adjacent
groove...?!

Steven C. Barr