[78-L] Rekkids from other lands

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Jul 16 17:32:14 PDT 2009

I've know for a long time that my record knowledge,  while good,  has huge
gaps in areas which interest me,  in particular records and artists from
countries other than the US,  UK and Canada.

Two questions for you more sophisticated and informed internationalists:

I have a wonderful Argetntine Brunswick of saxophone solos by one Sam
Liberman.  Anyone know him or anything about him?  Its #2018  "Sax-O-Phun"
b/w "Czardas"  Alto sax and piano.  First side is an entertaning version of
he well known Rudy W novelty.   The flip is an amazing tour-de-force showing
astounding technique on the horn...really,  really good stuff.  I don't even
know the date of recording/issue.

Second question...anyone have or have  heard Chevalier's first record,  an
HMV recorded in England in 1919?  And are those other early Chevalier
records on Pathe (1920-21)  hill-and-dale or regular cut?

Thanks for any info.

Taylor