[78-L] Subject: Re: Collecting vs. 'Investing'

Margaret Still mgstill at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 16 16:35:07 PDT 2009

I grew up in the late 78 era, but didn't start collecting them until I
bought a box of 78's for $1 at an upstate New York farm auction in the early
90's. I'd been collecting 45's and LP's all along, but got fired up on 78's
by listening to WFMU, which had several deejays who brought in their own
record collections, including 78's, and played them on the air. These were
not rare records, just a wide variety of music that opened up my ears to all
kinds of good sounds that I'd never heard or sought out before. So, the
first impulse to collect 78's was the thrill of discovery of these good
sounds. Since I did not have a 78 turntable, I had to wait a month to hear
the box of records, and actually dreamed the music for that month!

Since I lived in New York City and only took public transportation, my
collection grew very slowly at first, but when I moved away from New York, I
threw as much time as possible into Goodwills and yard sales looking for
records, and spent all available cash on records rather than on nicer
clothes or gee-gaws for the house. Road trips now include addresses of any
nearby Goodwill's logged into the gps.

Aside from the new "good sounds" I also found the sound thrillingly better,
especially on hillbilly 78's. I began keeping a discography of ALL my
records (thanks to Steve Barr, who was always giving of his time with Excel
questions). Then, when possible, I began to share any music or information
when possible with other collectors. And I began to read the 78 List. I
don't know enough to contribute much here, but everyone has contributed to
my knowledge of 78's, and I want to thank you all.

Though there aren't too many women with the record collecting drive, I don't
think the impulse is different in men and women. And aside from the music
and the way it sounds on 78 and the ritual of playing singles, there is that
magical side of a record: all the effort of everyone involved who threw
energy into a song now embedded in a disc; the label not just as beautiful
graphics, but for its peculiar presentation and its encapsulation of the
time; and the captured breath of the performer. All this packed into a disc
that is fragile and which has escaped destruction.

Best,
Margaret G. Still