[78-L] Paramount studio records?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 14 16:29:48 PDT 2009

There was an actual Twentieth Century label around 1934, which I guess promoted
songs from their films but which relied on Victor (and possibly other labels)
for source material. I've seen a couple of these. But pretty much all the film
studios used playbacks which were recordings of the numbers to be danced to or
acted to, and these often were the complete recordings even though you'd hear
fragments of it or the music with dialogue or sound effects over it in the
finished product. They'd play them on the set when filming, and then the
original source material would be played in the mixing stage. When you have a
scene where a director yells "Playback!" that's what would be heard on the
soundstage, played from a record player on the set. The discs were pressed by
Victor, Columbia and Allied, and the ones used on the set were usually recorded
at 80RPM (80 is easier to check for speed accuracy than 78). But copies for the
stars to take home and learn were cut at 78. Occasionally they goofed and
switched them and chaos ensued.

There are also discs that got circulated for promotional purposes or airplay
(Universal and Paramount did this..so did Disney with "Make Mine Music", a nice
set of songs that aren't from the soundtrack and were never commercially
issued). As well, I have the scores for "She" and "The Informer" on laminated
78s, the purpose of which I've never been able to discover.

dl