[78-L] Paramount studio records?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Jul 14 16:44:30 PDT 2009

> There are also discs that got circulated for promotional purposes or
> airplay
> (Universal and Paramount did this..so did Disney with "Make Mine Music", a
> nice
> set of songs that aren't from the soundtrack and were never commercially
> issued). As well, I have the scores for "She" and "The Informer" on
> laminated
> 78s, the purpose of which I've never been able to discover.
>
> dl

Thanks,  David.  I also have some of those movie promotional discs which I
assume were for the radio,  e.g. Crosby doing "Please" from The Big
Broadcast with the studio band and very audible Eddie Lang.

I think the oldest one I have is a Victor pressing for a movie called
Broadway Baby Dolls or some such from 1928...it dubs part of the Nat
Shilkret record of the title tune.

The best and most musical exploiter I have is a  1933 Brunswick pressing of
the  Freddy Martin Orch. doing little bits of tunes from "Moonlight and
Pretzels" including the title song,  which I'd never heard before.  Martin
recorded some of the other tunes from the movie on Brunswick but these short
versions are different and interesting.  The cheery announcer ends the
record by tellling you to go see the movie:  "...Be sure to see it on the
scree-un."

Taylor