[78-L] Over There to Over Here

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 12:09:48 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 1:14 PM
Subject: [78-L] Over There to Over Here

>I can't speak about foreign classical records,  but in my early years of
> collecting (maybe 1965 -80) I don't recall seeing very many English or
> other
> foreign dance band records either on auction,  junk stores (remember
> them?),
> or in the collections of others.  Since that time,  with improved
> transportation,  mail service and communication,  I started seeing all
> sorts
> of English dance records on all sorts of labels and now own several
> hundred
> of the 1923-38 era.    These have pretty much all come from overseas
> sellers
> or were obtained from fellow collectors who bought them from dealers in
> England,  Australia,  etc.
>
> It seems very unlikely that any store in the 20s or 30s would have
> imported
> much of that English pop stuff,  and I can't see American or Canadian
> tourists,  packing up their trunks to come home,  being loaded down with
> dance records on Edison Bell Winner and Filmophone!
>
> Am I correct in saying that the first foreign popular records to be
> reissued
> in any quantity in the US were the Ray Noble HMVs reissued on Victor in
> the
> early 30s?

Yup. Quite a good number of New Mayfairs were issued here by Victor.
I haven't seen  many/any  Somers. Firmans. Cottons. Foxes, Paynes, Stones,
Ambroses, Roys., Orpheans et al....
I like them a lot and have a decent number that came over by carrier pigeon.
(equipped with long range belly tanks)
In the vocal Dep't. even the great Gracie Fields was ignored until she
skipped town  to Hollywood.
Hildegarde was outta there by May 1939 and had not received any attention
from Yank record companies until she got here
and "aimee beaucouped" us.

Al S.