[78-L] Over There to Over Here

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Jul 13 10:14:34 PDT 2009

I can't speak about foreign classical records,  but in my early years of
collecting (maybe 1965 -80) I don't recall seeing very many English or other
foreign dance band records either on auction,  junk stores (remember them?),
or in the collections of others.  Since that time,  with improved
transportation,  mail service and communication,  I started seeing all sorts
of English dance records on all sorts of labels and now own several hundred
of the 1923-38 era.    These have pretty much all come from overseas sellers
or were obtained from fellow collectors who bought them from dealers in
England,  Australia,  etc.

It seems very unlikely that any store in the 20s or 30s would have imported
much of that English pop stuff,  and I can't see American or Canadian
tourists,  packing up their trunks to come home,  being loaded down with
dance records on Edison Bell Winner and Filmophone!

Am I correct in saying that the first foreign popular records to be reissued
in any quantity in the US were the Ray Noble HMVs reissued on Victor in the
early 30s?

Taylor