[78-L] Another foreign label question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 13 10:04:11 PDT 2009

Classical recordings from England were generally issued by their US
counterparts (Victor/HMV, Columbia/Columbia, Brunswick/Polydor), but there was
enough interest in discs from unrepresented labels or some other countries that
places like The Gramophone Shop did a thriving business in imports, publishing
a catalog in 1931 and often packaging these discs in their own album sets.
Popular records didn't see much US action (there were exceptions for really
famous artists and a couple of dance bands) so imports were a specialized
business for "connoisseurs".

One way to tell if the records were brought over by tourists or imported by
dealers is if they have local tax stamps on the labels..presumably the legit
imports won't have them (anybody know if I'm correct on this?).

dl