[78-L] Over There to Over Here

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 13 12:20:31 PDT 2009

simmonssomer wrote:
>> Am I correct in saying that the first foreign popular records to be
>> reissued
>> in any quantity in the US were the Ray Noble HMVs reissued on Victor in
>> the
>> early 30s?
>
> Yup. Quite a good number of New Mayfairs were issued here by Victor.
> I haven't seen  many/any  Somers. Firmans. Cottons. Foxes, Paynes, Stones,
> Ambroses, Roys., Orpheans et al....
> I like them a lot and have a decent number that came over by carrier pigeon.
> (equipped with long range belly tanks)
> In the vocal Dep't. even the great Gracie Fields was ignored until she
> skipped town  to Hollywood.
> Hildegarde was outta there by May 1939 and had not received any attention
> from Yank record companies until she got here
> and "aimee beaucouped" us.
>
> Al S.

The foreign catalogs were a different story, of course, and you can find lots
of Marek Weber and Comedian Harmonists and the like in there.

Jack Hylton made it onto a few domestic pressings around 1930..things like
Alpine Milkman, The King's Horses, Just a Gigolo, I Lift Up My Finger And I Say
Tweet Tweet (hmm, that one was deleted by 1932..pity).