[78-L] [OT] Economics: macro vs whacko

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Sun Jul 12 07:01:50 PDT 2009

Stephen Davies wrote:

>   I don't think Canadians ever prevented American bands from touring.  More
>   likely a sensible band manager wouldn't attempt to cover the great
>   distances in Canada between gigs.  A residency would be preferable; the
>   best hotels used American leaders (because there were only so many
>   Romanellis to go round).  And the radio networks carried as much American
>   programming as the TV networks do now.  (Thankfully, since this is how
>   some of the Vic and Sade episodes survived.)
>   I never thought I'd say it, but we need Jack Valenti to explain open
>   markets to us.  Gee, I hated that man.  If he wasn't fighting government
>   to get MORE American movies on our screens, then it was MORE American
>   magazines, etc.  He was never satisfied.
> - Stephen D
> in Calgary

The connections really go further, especially in country music.
Canadian familiarity with American country music came not so much from
Canadian broadcasts as from the powerful US stations like WLS and WWVA
that reached north of the border as a matter of course.  Besides making
the American music popular in Canada, an interchange of performers began
that included Canadians like Hank Snow making it big in the US, and
Americans like Hal Lone Pine becoming popular in Canada, to say nothing
of the development of French-Canadian versions of American country music
in Quebec and elsewhere.

--

      David Sanderson
      East Waterford, Maine