[78-L] [OT] Economics: macro vs whacko

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jul 12 20:13:48 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Sanderson" <dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com>
> Stephen Davies wrote:
>>   I don't think Canadians ever prevented American bands from touring.
>> More
>>   likely a sensible band manager wouldn't attempt to cover the great
>>   distances in Canada between gigs.  A residency would be preferable; the
>>   best hotels used American leaders (because there were only so many
>>   Romanellis to go round).  And the radio networks carried as much
>> American
>>   programming as the TV networks do now.  (Thankfully, since this is how
>>   some of the Vic and Sade episodes survived.)
>>   I never thought I'd say it, but we need Jack Valenti to explain open
>>   markets to us.  Gee, I hated that man.  If he wasn't fighting
>> government
>>   to get MORE American movies on our screens, then it was MORE American
>>   magazines, etc.  He was never satisfied.
>> - Stephen D
> The connections really go further, especially in country music.
> Canadian familiarity with American country music came not so much from
> Canadian broadcasts as from the powerful US stations like WLS and WWVA
> that reached north of the border as a matter of course.  Besides making
> the American music popular in Canada, an interchange of performers began
> that included Canadians like Hank Snow making it big in the US, and
> Americans like Hal Lone Pine becoming popular in Canada, to say nothing
> of the development of French-Canadian versions of American country music
> in Quebec and elsewhere.

Both Wilf Carter and Hank ("The Yodeling Ranger") Snow were first
recorded on Canadian Bluebird, and released on the Canada-only
B-4xxx discs! Hillbilly music was VERY popular in rural Ontario and
virtually ALL of the western provinces; as well, there was a unique
situation in the Maritimes, where performers in the Anglo-Celtic
tradition, just like in Appalachia, sang, fiddled and played guitar
"the old way!"

Also, both Canadian Victor and Columbia released MANY US
c&w recordings...which sold VERY well!

...stevenc