[78-L] Shilkret "Coast To Coast"

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 11 18:16:46 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
>> Matrices/stampers of "alternate takes" were primarily
>> a (RCA) Victor phenomenon; most other labels didn't
>> bother with numerous tries at "perfection" (nor did
>> Victor after 1931!?).  ...stevenc
> I'm confused by this.  All companies recorded alternate takes, either as
> a strive for perfection or for the availability of multiple masters.
> And as for depression-era Victor/Bluebird having only one numbered take,
> it is not definite that these "Take ones" are the only takes that were
> recorded.  It is believed that they might have been the only takes
> processed.  For their classical records (despite the fact that you
> ignore them, they DO exist and do have discographic significance) they
> continued to record and process multiple takes.

As I recall, Victor issued an official "memo" c.1931 (or so) officially
limiting the use of multiple attempts for individual recordings; thereafter,
most of their recordings were "take 1" or occasionally "take 2?!"
Perhaps someone else on 78-L can recall this...and/or post the text
of this?!

...stevenc