[78-L] Shilkret "Coast To Coast"

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jul 10 21:17:40 PDT 2009

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> Matrices/stampers of "alternate takes" were primarily
> a (RCA) Victor phenomenon; most other labels didn't
> bother with numerous tries at "perfection" (nor did
> Victor after 1931!?).  ...stevenc

I'm confused by this.  All companies recorded alternate takes, either as
a strive for perfection or for the availability of multiple masters.
And as for depression-era Victor/Bluebird having only one numbered take,
it is not definite that these "Take ones" are the only takes that were
recorded.  It is believed that they might have been the only takes
processed.  For their classical records (despite the fact that you
ignore them, they DO exist and do have discographic significance) they
continued to record and process multiple takes.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com