[78-L] A guy with plenty of pluck

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 10 22:07:11 PDT 2009

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:16:03 -0700
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
Subject: [78-L] A guy with plenty of pluck
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

I love Gene Traxler's bass playing with Dorsey and earlier with Haymes.
Gene does the vocal on the Haymes of  "It's All Forgotten Now" and of course
there's no bass during that part.  When the vocal ends there are two more
"baseless" bars and then there's Gene back with a big fat 2/4...very
effective for some reason.  A great record.

Taylor

Gene Traxler's son Ron was a dear friend and a truly fine drummer. Unfortunately he left us suddenly and much too soon in January '08. Although Ron had already retired as a player the New York scene lost one of its best-ever drummers and I lost a close fiend. I was fortunate to have done a gig with Gene, he as part of a great rhythm section which included the wonderful pianist Sy Mann in the early sixties IIRC. I don't remember much about the gig other than it was a real pleasure. Ron told me that when his father left Dorsey (to be home with his family) Dorsey   tried to have him blackballed in the business. "Sentimental Gentleman" my arse!!
JD