[78-L] stereo, ca. 1932

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jul 8 22:14:34 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> Regarding RCA's 1932 stereo attempts;I had heard that a similar thing was
> done around
> 1940 involving the recordings that were used in the movie "Fantasia".I had
> also read some
> years back regarding Edison's use of multiple cylinder recording machines
> that also achi-
> eved a stereo effect.What is the difference between stereo and binaural
> sound?

In THEORY...since Edison originally lined up cylinder machines in order to
get
multiple recordings of single performances, before he perfected moulded
cylinders...
if one happened to acquire two cylinders recorded on the two "end
recorders,"and
one could synchronize their players on two machines running at EXACTLY the
same speed...stereo!

Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen, however...?!

...stevenc